Gardening provides us with many benefits, but it also leads to a lot of waste. Gardeners may not realize how much they add to landfills each year; cell packs, flats, and assorted nursery pots alone account for over 320 million pounds of waste annually.
Garden pot products accepted for recycling:
- HDPE #2 – High Density Polyethylene
- PP #5 – Polypropylene
- PS #6 – Polystyrene
These three categories of plastics come in a variety of shapes, styles, and sizes, usually labeled on the bottom. All sizes up to a TF3030 are accepted (maximum dimension of 30″ in any one direction).
- Separate according to type (#2, #5, #6) regardless of size, style or color.
- Remove all loose dirt and contaminants.
- Remove all metal wire from hanging planters.
- Nest all pots, cell packs, and trays of the same size and type tightly together (also sorted by plastic type).
- If you take your items to one of the Garden Center drop-off points, there will be a separate recycling bin for #2, #5, and #6 items.
Garden Center Drop-Off Locations
AB Hatchery & Garden Center *Anytime
916 East Grove St.
C Wendell Niepagen Greenhouses *Anytime
2010 Fox Creek Rd.
Casey’s Garden Shop *Seasonal
For more information contact us at (309) 454-3169.
* Volunteers are always needed for sorting and preparing collected containers
Please contact us by clicking here or call Michael Brown at 309-454-3169 to volunteer.
Illinois Plastic Pot Recycling Initiative Program Partners
McLean County Master Gardeners
Ecology Action Center
Illinois State University
Town of Normal
University of Illinois McLean County Extension Office